Tuesday, November 29, 2011

random memories of oliver...

i remember the day my mom called to tell me about this wonderful man she met on a bus tour... and that was the beginning of their story...

they got engaged and were married on january 21, 1988 at the museum of flight in seattle... oliver was fascinated by all sorts of transportation, and was a pilot for a time, making the museum of flight the perfect location... but the perfection of the wedding location wasn't what mattered here... my mom and oliver found something that few people ever find in life, perfect love.

oliver middlebrooks, jr. passed away on november 18, 2011 (just a couple months shy of his 84th birthday) at 10:22pm... he was surrounded by my mom, helen middlebrooks, his son, curtis, me, and one of his hospice caretakers when he took his last quiet, peaceful breath...

he was an amazing man, full of spirit and joy and curiosity about seemingly everything... he became a part of my family that day in 1988, and there was no way not to love and appreciate him... even though i had already moved out on my own, he was always there for me, and once i had kids, he was grandpa oliver to them... but more importantly, he was there for my mom... i'm thankful every day for the wonderful 25 years she had with him...

turn on your speakers and enjoy this photo montage of some of those 25 years...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD5vUzijNgo




No comments:

Post a Comment